Jack & Chill Frozen Young Jack Fruit Chunks 300Gms
1 large potato
1 large onion – chopped finely or made into a paste
Ginger and Garlic paste
1/2 Bay leaves
1 dry Red Chilli
1 tbsp cumin seeds
Ground/ Dry Masalas
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chili powder
Half a teaspoon of Sugar
Salt to taste
Mustard Oil (optional) / Cooking Oil
1. Finely chop the onion or grind it into a paste.
2. Ginger and garlic peeled and ground into a paste
3. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes
4. Heat the oil in a heavy based pan
5. Once the oil is hot, reduce the heat and add all the dry masalas. Tips: crush the cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick before adding.
6. When it starts to sputter, add the onion and stir till it’s translucent.
7. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook it for another 3/4 mins.
8. Add the potatoes and cook it for 3/4 mins
9. Add the raw Jackfruit and cook for another 3/4 mins
10. Add the dry masalas and the tomato purée
11. Top it with half a teaspoon of sugar
12. Mix all ingredients together and cook till the oil starts to separate
13. Mix the water.
14. Add salt to taste.
15. Cover the pan and cook on a low flame till the potatoes and the jack fruit are cooked thoroughly.
16. Serve hot with plain rice
Contributed by Ananya Majumdar, London